Xbox 360 Wired Controller

Xbox 360 Wired Controller


The simplest and cheapest option for a gamepad is the classic Xbox 360 Wired Controller. This controller can plug into any computer using the USB port making it easy to setup and you will not have to worry about buying batteries. 

The Xbox 360 has stood the test of time as the best layout and form for comfort when playing games. My hands do not cramp and the button layout is standard so there is no learning where the buttons are.

This controller is good for retro indie games because of how cheap yet reliable it is. It gets the job done and does it without breaking the bank. The one problem with the controller for retro 2D games is the D-pad. I do not use the D-pad anymore on the Xbox 360 controller. I tried to use the D-pad while playing a game like Celeste, where it is important what angle I have pressed on the D-pad. It did not work out very well because the D-pad is not in a comfortable spot for my thumb to press and when I do press it with my thumb it feels cheap and takes a lot of pressure to press down on. Trying to press the D-pad down in a diagonal direction is also hard and while playing Celeste it caused me to die a few times from registering a downward direction when I wanted a down-right angled direction. But this does not mean that I do not use this controller. For Celeste, I completed the game with the Xbox controller but I did it with the analog stick which took some getting used to for a 2D game but it worked pretty well. 

It's cheap. Again this is the cheapest PC controller that has the quality to last a while and work for all your retro indie gaming needs. It does not feel cheap, though. The image above is a picture of my controller that I have had for over 2 years. It is still working flawlessly and feels great. The official
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired Controller for Windows & Xbox 360 Console for around $39.99.

It's really cheap. For only $16 you can get this TGJOR controller from Amazon. Disclaimer: this is not the official Microsoft version but it looks nearly identical and from the reviews it works just as well as the Microsoft version.

8BitDo Gamepads

8BitDo SN30 Pro Bluetooth Gamepad



The collection of 8BitDo controllers are some of my favorite gamepads to play retro indie games and/or emulated old school games. I own the 8Bitdo SF30 Pro Controller Windows, macOS, & Android - Nintendo Switch.

The versatility and ease of use of these controllers are amazing. I use my 8BitDo bluetooth controller with my Nintendo Switch and my PC. I can switch between them so easily. The wireless bluetooth connects perfectly with both my Nintendo Switch and my PC. I can play Shovel Knight and Cuphead on my Switch and then move over and play Celeste or Hollow Knight on my PC. This controller is my most used controller for most all of the games I play (I play mostly indie games). But even if you wanted to use the controller as a substitute for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller or the Xbox 360 Controller you can because it has all of the same buttons.

The D-Pad is what makes this controller perfect for retro-like 2D games. The D-Pad feels just like the old school SNES controller but they even improved on that by having the buttons feel more responsive and less bouncy like the SNES controller. The nostalgia factor is another reason why I am gushing over these controllers. It just reminds me of the days of playing The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario World on the SNES. To help in the nostalgia factor you can customize the controller to have different colors to match whichever old school controller you'd like. Playing Shovel Knight with this controller feels absolutely perfect.

They have a variety of types of controllers that can fit all of your gaming needs. With the just released 8Bitdo Sn30 Pro+ Bluetooth Gamepad (Sn Edition) - Nintendo Switch. This gamepad has all the benefits of the Sn30 Pro but also has the added form factor for better ergonomics. This is the next controller on my wish list because it seems like it has everything I need to play both 2D and 3D games for a long time.

There is a cheaper option that does not include the trigger buttons or the analog sticks, 8Bitdo Sn30 Bluetooth Gamepad for Nintendo Switch,Windows,macos,Android,Raspberry Pi (GP Red Edition). It comes in many colors and does not lack the amazing quality that all 8BitDo controllers have. 

Steam Controller

The Steam Controller is a great choice for indie or retro games if you love having the perfect custom button setup. There are custom button layouts for most games on Steam that other people have made that will work 98% of the time how you would want them to. But it can be fun for people to customize the button layout on the controller to fit your own needs. I used a few emulators on steam and there are even community made button layouts for the SNES, N64, or Wii Roms that make playing those games so much easier. Speaking of the Nintendo Wii, with the Dolphin Wii emulator you can use the motion controls from the Steam Controller itself to use as a Wii remote and track through menus or even play through games such as Super Mario Galaxy and many others. The Steam Controller is my go to gamepad for all emulated games for these reasons.  

The Steam Controller takes some getting used to with it's unique button setup and track pad. I had to play with the controller for about a month to get used to it. But after that playing video games with the Steam Controller was easy. My favorite part of the Steam Controller is the track pad. I connect my laptop to my TV with and HDMI and use the Steam Controller track pad to control my cursor from the comfort of sitting on the couch. From there I can browse the internet and there was a time period where I sat on the couch and played Old School Runescape (which is my favorite free online game ever). 

Buy the Steam Controller directly from the Steam website and not from Amazon because for some strange reason they jacked up the price on Amazon so you can get it a lot cheaper on Steam. 

Summary

  • Xbox 360 Wired Controller - cheapest, reliable, easy to setup, standard button layout 
  • 8BitDo Gamepads - nostalgic, fantastic quality of build, can be used on many systems
  • Steam Controller - complicated but most customizable, track pad allows for cursor control

Continue your search for the next big indie game controller with these weird controllers that were made for unique indie games